Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC2000 media? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hi

Friend of mine has indicated that she is looking for a way to read what she describes DC2000 tapes. Given that I can't find anything online regarding this, it might an old format or she has the name wrong.

I've asked for clarification from her but while I'm waiting for that, does anyone know of this and what can you tell me about it? I'm looking to find out things like what drives are used with this media, rough retrieval accuracy and success rates, data capacity, etc.

Thanks in advance

Gary

I would assume she is speaking of DLT2000 media. If this is true, they DLT drive about a 2000 will work. i.e DLT4000, DLT7000, DLT8000.

Well, that was kind of my first guess but it seemed too easy of a question from her. :)

Thanks, hope it's that easy, because DLT drives I know :)

Well, so much for the easy way out. She says it is 10-12 years old and it has "DC 2000 Mini Data Cartridge Tape" on it, made by 3M.

Between that and her estimate of the size, it sounds like perhaps it's a DDS DAT tape but I've only worked with DDS2 and I think this predates that. She also mentioned something about it having a metal facing on it, but not sure if that was the tape-guard or not; she'd put it back in the storage closet when I had called her.

Ok, well, guess I had cookie blocking on staples.com.

Based on her size estimate (2" long), a 5.25" tape is not it, which is why I thought it might be a DDS2, but I'm unsure on how long those have been around.

Anything else I can show her?

How about suggestions for data recovery places that could help her out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back