Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dc Promo

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
I am replacing a sbs2000 server running exchange with a new windows 2003 server running exchange 2003.

I am confused by the domain name.

The old servers domain was abc (thats what i logged on to from the workstations)and happened to match our of
As i understand, i should change the name of the local domain the workstations logon to. so lets say from abc to xyz.

I assumed this is the name in dcpromo and entered the name xyz.abc.com. Since it asked for a fqdn i made it fully qualified.

After installing exchange I sending a test email to my hotmail account it was received as me@xyz.abc.com this isnt right.

I then read its better to reinstall then rename, so where do i give the correct names at??

Change the recipients policy in Exchange to point to the correct domain name. Your internal AD domain name has nothing to do with your SMTP domain name (email). No need to do either rename or reinstall.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks Pat,

That was easy.

But I was wondering if i did the AD naming correctly in dcpromo?

Like i said, i used xyz.abc.com. Should i just use xyz for the internal domain name instead of xyz.abc.com

Tim

That doesn't really matter. It's trivial, really. You could go through a rename process, but that's more of a pain than anything else.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back