Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC not found during forced password change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariddick

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
I have a WAN that has been working reliably for about 6 months now with a mix of Windows 2000/98 computers. I have two Windows 2000 server domain controllers. We started password expirations and then things got weird. The users had the normal prompt that their password must be changed, then they went to the screen where you enter your old password and confirm your new one. After this step, an error was reported that the domain controller could not be found and therefore the password would not change. I set everyone back to no expire and then they could login with their old password. Has anybody encountered this error?

Thanks,
Aaron

I encounter it the other day. What I had to do was disjoin the domain and then rejoin the stupid machine back. Rebooted and everything work fine.

[pipe]
Trimelater

Please make sure with <nslookup> that your domain controller (logon server where your account reside) is the preffered server from the workstation command prompt. This has all to do with DNS. If it's not like this you won't be able to change the password from the client....(That was my problem once)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back