Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC becomes unresponsive: "Cannot obtain the DC name for your network"

Status
Not open for further replies.

meastaugh1

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
I have a 2K native domain with 2 DCs. Last month the first DC became completely unresponsive on two occassions, three weeks apart.

Symptons are users can't access shared folders, trust relationships seem to stop working, not too sure but authentication may stop altogether. Cannot logon/logoff/shutdown the server. The only way to get out of it is to cut the power to the server. The application log gives a Userenv 1000 error: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (2146).

The second DC seems fine, no unusual event viewer messages there. The only other clues are that when DCDiag is run on the first server it gives the following message, the second server just passes fine:
Starting test: frssysvol
Error: No record of File Replication System, SYSVOL started.
The Active Directory may be prevented from starting.
......................... BMS-SR-001 passed test frssysvol

Any help appreciated.

How does netdiag look on both servers?

The error on the first server seems to indicate that you don't have a sysvol or netlogon share, which can be caused by DNS problems.

Use the to find out the exact meaning of these events and from other users views and solutions for same events it will help throw light on your problem
You may have to subscribe it and get full benefit of that site.I subscribe to this site and it has solved 98% of my problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back