Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC as a terminal server question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hennessyk

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2007
Site #1 has a 2000 server that holds all the roles for the domain.
There is a persistent VPN to....
Site #2 where another DC is (2003 server). The Secondary DC is also a Global Catalog server. Universal group caching is also enabled at this site.

Here is where it gets tricky: The Second DC is being used as a terminal server (not my idea, I know it's a bad, bad idea). The problem is when the VPN goes down, the users can't login to the Terminal Server/DC at site #2. They get no domain is available error when trying to terminal in.

Is there a way for the users to login to a terminal/DC when no roles are present?

No, there is nothing to authenticate them to the network.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

No, there is nothing to authenticate them to the network

I would have thought the DC at the 2nd site should authenticate them. Which server is the terminal server licence server??

Server should be a GC or have universal group caching, choose one or the other.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If the VPN is down, the connection to the other server which could authenticate them is gone.

Maybe I'm not understanding properly but it reads to me like one domain with a DC in site 1 and site 2. The DC in site 2 is also used as a terminal server by users in site 2.

If that is the case then users in site 2 should still be able to authenticate using the DC in at their site despite the VPN going down.

Or am I reading the problem incorrectly??

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Oh, yeah, I guess I didn't read that close enough...if the VPN were down users at site 1 wouldn't even be able to connect to get the error. My bad.

Is this all one domain between site 1 and site 2?

Yes they should be able to authenticate to site 2's DC if its configured correctly. Site 2's DC should be a 2nd GC it should also have DNS setup and that sites clients should be pointing to it as a primary DNS server or at least as the secondary DNS server on the clients(im guessing this is the problem). You should also have Sites and Services configured with 2 sites with the DC's in the correct Site container and dont forget to configure subnets.

RoadKi11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back