Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC after demotion is...what...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgh2000

MIS
Jan 2, 2002
US
Have a win 2000 domain controller. It has file shares and shared printers as well as being a DC. Right now they don't want to move the shares until they order a new file server. Have a new server that has Win 2003 as DC in the domain already. Need to remove the old win 2000 DC.

I need to demote the DC. It has been a while since I demoted a DC and it was solely a DC so it did not matter. I can't remember the end result or if you can choose.

I need to know if after demotion the server is a member server in the domain (with shares, printer intact) or if it is a server in a workgroup which would be a problem for the shares (and secuirty etc)

Thanks,

Dave

It would be a member server.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back