Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBNull error

Status
Not open for further replies.

briancostea

Programmer
Apr 21, 2005
US
i just started getting the following error this week ... it was working fine for about 3 weeks until yesterday. any help would be greatly appreciated.

error:
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

code:
txtCarAg.Attributes.Add("value", IIF(ObjDataReader("car") is dbNull.Value, "", replace(ObjDataReader("car"), "*", "'")))

thanks - brian

If the field is null, the cast will fail. So try something like this:

If Not (ObjDataReader("car") Is DbNull.Value) Then
'do something
Else
'do something else
End If

-DNG

i believe that is what i am doing with the iif() statment. it should return "" if the field is null.

When inserting your records it's a good idea to check for null values. your not getting this error using the data reader are you? The datareader is one way only(Forward only)

When I use a datareader i always do the following

txt.text = reader("FieldName") & ""

Are you trying to update the DB when you receive this error?

Let the datareader populate your controls, then check for null values when updating.

Use the following:

txtCarAg.Attributes.Add("value", IIF(ObjDataReader("car") is dbNull.Value, "", replace(ObjDataReader("car").ToString(), "*", "'")))

I am sure it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back