Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBMS_STATS and Histograms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETLMaster

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hi all,
I want to use DBMS_STATS to gather column value histograms, but it seems that there's a maximum number of buckets allowed - around 250 I think. Is this the case or am I missing some syntax?
What I want to do is run the histograms so I can get the distinct values available for a given column, so I want to input as the number of buckets to be the number of rows of the table.

Any help is appreciated,
Ron

Yes, exact number is 256. BTW, why do you need it? Defining column as UNIQUE doesn't need histograms, I suppose.

Regards, Dima

Actually, I'm not using DBMS_STATS for performance per se. I want to do some profiling of my data and hoping I could use some existing packages for performance's sake. Actually, I could really just do a select distinct p1 from T to get the distinct values.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Try to look at ALL_TAB_COLUMNS.NUM_DISTINCT (of course after analyzing)

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back