Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbms_scheduler: external program under unix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonSellick

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
GB
Hi,

Has anyone made this work? I'm struggling to get the external program to run. If I specify the entire pathname it manages to find the command, but if it tries to do anything useful it falls over with insufficient unix permissions to write anything anywhere (apparently). The only command that I have succeeded in making run is
Code:
/usr/bin/ls
- which loses its stdout somewhere. If I try to catch stdout in a file
Code:
/usr/bin/ls >/tmp/x
it complains 'No such file or directory'. What I am trying to achieve is to run a ksh script which will create various files.

Any suggestions welcomed.

In case it's of any interest, the problem was the unix environment: the user session started by Oracle to run the executable has been configured on my site to land at / with no path or other environment set, so everything has to be spelt out in the script.

Simon, thanks for the update. I must admit I looked at this the other day and thought it might be related to environment variables (which is also a problem with unix cron jobs). Then I forgot to check back when I had more time!

A star for being kind enough to complete the picture.

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Ken,

That's the first time I've been given a star for my own question! Thanks :)

Simon

But you answered it and thus added to the forum knowledge-base, so that's what it's for. Too many times we see threads which are left hanging without a resolution, or not one which the poster sees fit to pass on.

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back