Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBF size limit in term of bytes but not number of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehoh

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
MY
I have problem of index files always corrupted. I use clip5.2 & clip5.3 as well, with .Ntx files as indexes. I know that index files quite frequent corrupted. But just want to know that how big size of database file will cause index files easy corrupted. I know that a DBF can hold a billion of records (depend on the number of fields as well). But a billion record equaivalent to how many bytes for the DBF file, i need in term of bytes instead of number of records. Please help me. Thanks!

2GB.

Start using the dbfcdx index driver, much more reliable!

Rob.

From nearly 20 years of exp. the ntx indexes normally do not become spoilt.

Hardware failures aside, I can't think of even one example of an index being corrupted.

Check your user procedures first - then blame the files!

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Nearly every corruption issue I have encountered has been the fault of either badly written programs, or, more likely, user problems (switching off too quickly is a common one)

However, as stated above use another dbf driver - CDX (in any of it's forms) or the sixNSX driver are far more reliable - even being more tolerant of badly written programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back