Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBCC Shrinkfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonPGreen

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
GB
Hi,

Can anyone explain why I get the error 'cannot shrink log file **** because all virtual log files are in use'.

A Full and then log dump has been taken and if I run DBCC SQLPerf (logspace) only 1.2% of the log file is used?

I have a server that was set to Full Recovery but no log backups were taken and the log has grown to about 50GB. I can get it down to about 13GB but no further.

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Simon

what is the default size of your log? it may be set to 13 GB

- Paul
10qkyfp.gif

- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Are there are open transactions on the system?

Do you have replication setup on this database?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

DB I have been testing is restored in a test environment so there won't be any activity and no replication is configured.

I presume if the original log file was created at 13GB it can never be reduced? Is it possible to identify the original size?

Appreciate the help.

Simon

Correct, if the log was created at 13 Gigs when the database was created then you won't be able to shrink the file below that level.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back