Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBCC (checkdb & shrinkfile) corruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldduffer

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
GB
All

Hope you can help with this one;

Over the past few weeks I've been receiving too many errors for both the checkdb and shrinkfile commands.
Last night for example the DBCC checkdb failed because it could not access a data page, I think an earlier failure with the shrinkfile may have been the cause. This again happened the night before and a number of times over the past month. The frequency used to be less than once per six months

I would like to know if there are any reasons why these DBCC's may be corrupting so frequently or if there is any steps or advice you can give to prevent this problem

any ideas appreciated, thanks

Old goat

Which SQL Server version and service pack is installed? Does the error log provide any additional info about the failures? Which options are you using with CHECKDB? What other maintenance functions do you run regularly? Do you perform regular backups?

Do you know which database is in error? Have you attempted to analyze one table at a time on the database? Have you reindexed the tables lately?

What kind of disk are you using for data and log files? Do you have RAID? Are the data and log files on the same drive? How much disk space is available for the data and log files? Is there other activity on the server during the maintenance runs?

We run regular maintenance including BACKUPS, DBREINDEX, CHECKDB and SHRINFILE on 7 servers and rarely encounter errors unless we run out of disk space. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back