Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DBCA and ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbalearner

Technical User
Aug 23, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am trying to create a database in 11g. I have already installed the software on red hat ES 5.2. Software installs fine. When I try to create the database I get the following:

ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

Now I have unset NLS_LANG parameter and set it back to the value as in the database but I stil get the same error and database creation aborts.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Learner,

Burleson Consulting has some helpful information on this error. The information is a bit more volume than would be appropriate to copy and paste here, so I'll let you click the link and review.

If the information Burleson offers does not resolve your issue, please post again here. If the information does help then you can post the resolution here for the next person that has the same need as you have.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

This is on Red hat Enterprise Server 5.2.

It did not work. I removed all the files. Reinstalled Oracle binaries (all OK). Started listener fine. Tried to use dbca to create a database and I am getting ORA-12705:Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified. When I ignore that ewrror I get ORA-01031 insufficient privileges and also ORA-01012: not logged in. I am running this dbca as UNIX login oracle:dba on linux host directly.

Has this anything to do with Oracle login privileges etc?

Thanks

Hi,
Have to verified that the environment variables and paths are correct, especially the Oracle Home and Shared Libraries?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

In 11g it's mandatory to set ORACLE_BASE.
Maybe note#330788.1 can help.
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Guys,

Thank you all for your help. It turned out to be the environment variuabe ORA_NLS10. For one reason or other (I checked it is not in my startup shell script) DBCA sets it to

ORA_NLS10 = /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/nls/data

and since this directory did not exist (I am installing 11g)I was getting the error.

I set ORA_NLS10 to /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/nls/data or $ORACLE_HOME/nsl/data

in my startup shell script and it now works.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back