Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbAttachedODBC Settings / Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpimental

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
US
All, I have some vba code that "refreshes" or "updates" the odbc links on some linked oracle tables.

When I moved from office 2003 to office 2007, I starting getting errors when updating from access fields to oracle fields in linked tables.

So I ran an update that reset the connection string.

Orginal Connection String
Code:
DSN=MYDSN;
UID=user;
PWD=password;
DBQ=MYDBQ;
DBA=W;
APA=T;
EXC=F;
FEN=T;
QTO=T;
FRC=10;
FDL=10;
LOB=T;
RST=T;
BTD=F;
BAM=IfAllSuccessful;
NUM=MS;
DPM=F;
MTS=T;
MDI=F;
CSR=F;
FWC=F;
FBS=64000;
TLO=O;

This connection string produced errors such as "can't update field with a null value". I know the field wasn't null.

Updated Connection String
Code:
DSN=MYDSN;
SERVER=MYSERVER;
DATABASE=;
pwd=password

This new connection string seems to work fine. The update queries work as they did before we upgraded to office 2007.

I got the connection string form the connect field in the MSysObjects table.

What I need to know is ...
1. What are all the possible settings of the odbc connection string?

2. Are any of the settings in the original connection string the cause for why the updates are not working?

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

You need ODBC in there...
[tt]
ODBC;DSN=dsn;DBQ=dbq
[/tt]
I've foud that that is all I need, along with pwd and uid.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I've been there but did not see what I was looking for. Note the original string. There are several settings which I don't know what they mean or what the possible values are or what the impact is to updating records in Oracle?

That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

Actually, in the full connection string, ODBC is in there, but it is not inserted into the MSysObjects table, because the table is of type dbAttachedODBC.

Thanks, though.

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back