Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbase420.acc dBASE initialization error

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipotle

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
We copied a dbase application from a novel server to a windows 2000 member server in a windows nt 4.0 domain. We then tried to execute the dbase engine by typing "DBASE.EXE" at a DOS command prompt. The error below was returned:

Control file could not be found: D:\APPS\DBASE5\dbase420.acc
*** dBASE initialization error

The file "dbase420.acc" is located in the d:\APPS\DBASE5 directory, so that the file is missing is not the answer.

Could you make any suggestions as to what might be the problem here?

Thanks.

Chipotle.

Hey Chipotle,

I have a similar problem with dBase-IV on W2Kpro

"Password file is in use by another: DBSYSTEM.DB
***dBASE IV initialization error"

It worked OK for months then suddenly it won't initialize. There is no DBSYSTEM.DB anywhere on the network.

Maybe when you find a solution to your problem, it will solve mine to.

Good luck.
DLee

DavidSLee,

One of our techs started comming up with this DBASE error after his computer froze and he did an "improper" shut-down / restart:

"Password file is in use by another: DBSYSTEM.DB
***dBASE IV initialization error"

After a few hours of mucking around with everything we just tried saving an empty notepad file in the DBASE directory named "dbsystem.db"

Sounds a little crazy but this fooled DBASE and the program is now working for him again.

Hope this helps.

chipotle,

Try checking the SECURITY settings in the properties of the file dbase420.acc. Make sure the user has sufficient rights to the file. Just to test I set all settings to DENY and was able to create the same error. You may have to give full access to a user. Not sure if this is the problem but it may be worth a try.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back