Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dbase import problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregGood

Programmer
Jan 24, 2004
US
I'm trying to import a Dbase lll data base into my existing Access 2000 data base. My operating system is Windows 2000. When I try to import via FILE / Get External Data / Import, I get the following message: "The Microsoft Jet Engine could not find the object 'giftorder.dbf'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and path name correctly." I'm using the browser to let Access find the dbf file and it sees it just fine during the selection part of the process. When I press the "Import" button is when I get he message. I performed this same process on my office computer and it worked just fine.
I appreciate any help that comes my way.
Thanks,
Greg Good

Greg

The fact that you can import the dBase data from one PC but not the other suggests a difference in the Access configuration.

You may look at using the Software Add/Remove utility in the Control Panel. Select Microsoft Office, and then choose "Change" -> "Add/Remove". At the bottom of the list of Office components is a section called "Converters and Filters".

You may also want to try reinstalling Access / Office.

For the record, I do not have problems importing Access.

Richard

Becks25Not, thanks for the link.

Renaming the file name to 8-characters or less worked in my case -- using Access 2002 (w/out a service pack.)

hi..

i'm trying to like the .dbf table and it's getting linked. but once i close msaccess and re-opened the list is not working. i'm getting the same error.

"The Microsoft Jet Engine could not find the object 'mydatabase.dbf'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and path name correctly."

any soluation??

ragu- [pc]

Hi

Like some of the previous replies...giftorder.dbf will not be a valid dbf in dbase because it does not follow the DOS 8.3 convention.

I'd check the name of the table again, it could be that you have put one character in too many...maybe gftorder.dbf or giftord.dbf, for example.

or

If the file has been renamed to giftorder.dbf via windows, you may have to refer to the 'DOS' filename, which maybe giftor~1.dbf

i even tried to rename the file with 2 character (fm.dbf) and made link with access table. if i close access and re-open the table is not linking to fm.dbf. getting the above error.

ragu [pc]

When you said you renamed the file and made the link...did you rename and re-import? (i.e. did you start from scratch?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back