Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBase III Plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbizzell

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
Believe it or not I am still using dBase III Plus at the dot prompt (.) to manipulate DBF files that I create by converting data from an excel spreadsheet to the DBF format. I will never give up my DOT prompt willingly but if my machine crashes and I have to get a Windows 7 computer I will be out of luck. Someone please save me from that disastrous event. Is there anyway to make thee dBase III Plus work on Windows 7?

Why would there be a problem installing dBaseIII on W7?

What do you install it from though?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I use dB3+ on Win7 with no problem... db3 does not have to be installed if that's the problem. Just copy the dbase folder from your old OS machine and go. We have legacy Clipper 5.3 applications that are too expensive to replace and aren't that critical, they run fine too. dB3 is the best way to do those, out of application, data maintenance tasks that always come up.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

dBase III runs fine under 32 bit Win 7.

Being a 16 bit app, it will not run in a Win 7 64 bit CMD window.

In that case, and assuming you have Win 7 pro, then install XP mode, which is Win XP running in a VM, and put your 16 bit apps in there. You can then set them up as shortcuts on the Win 7 desktop, and run them as if they were native Win 7. I have both a Win 7 and XP cmd prompts set up as shortcuts on the Win 7 desktop, which works fine.

Jock

Thanks all for the information on running DB3+ on Windows 7. I now realize that it was the 64bit version of Windows 7 that was causing the problem. I was hoping to avoid the XP mode running on a virtual machine but I am stuck with that solution unless I want to downgrade from 64bit to 32 bit Windows 7. I guess that would involve buying a complete new computer with the 32 bit operating system.

You can change from 64 bit to 32 bit without buying a new computer. You will however need a 32 bit version of Windows 7, and a backup of everything on your current drive. Reformat using Win-7 32 bit and complete the install. Restore your data, your 64 bit programs will no longer work but the 32 bit ones will.

Dave.

Would it run in DosBox?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back