Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

db versions comparison and upgrade??

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginie

Programmer
Jul 24, 2002
IL
hi
i have a db (ms-access) that includes tables, relations and data.

this db is part of an application in somes clients places, which means that in each place, the data is different.

my db has changed, i added tables , even some tables have data that should be passed to the clients db.
that means: all the data from the master db ( mine) should be pass to the clients db ( by clients i dont mean throw a server, just the people that have my app!!)
but without deleted the data that they have already...

is there a way, a program that can do the comparison between the master db and the second one, update the db structure, and passed the new data from the master without deleting thew existing data ( that is in other tables always in matter of fact)???

You might want to look at MS Access database replication. This may do what you need.

I won't go into all the ins and outs of it - the info's in MS Access Help.

HTH,

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

hi
no i dont think that replicate the database can help me...

in matter of fact i dont have the clients databses and i cant do the upgrade by myself, i dont know even how much data they have in their local database and i cant do the upgrade by replication.
i need a program that i will run at application installer time that will compare between the new structure db and the db that is on the comp that will be done the install process.and that after the comparison will be able to update the local db structure and pass the data from the db that is as part of the installer, but will not delete the data included in the local db on the machine.

Hi

Simple answer to this problem is to splity the db into two mdb files

In the Front End (FE) put the Forms, reports, queries etc

In the backend (BE) put the data tables

From the FE link to the datatables

You make you modifications to a development version of the FE, when changes are tested etc you send out new version of the FE, relink to clients tables

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

I think I see what you're saying. I've read other forums (fora? whatever) about this, and even for the more industrial-strength databases, the solution is to run a bunch of SQL all at once.

Things to be sure of:
-no one else is in the database at the time for the entire duration of the update
-your update 'SQL script' WORKS, because otherwise data loss is really, really bad
-you make backups so in case the upgrade doesn't work, they can restore from backup

So there's no magic update-matron that you can use. You're going to have to do this the difficult and tedious way.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back