Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsquare1975

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2012
I am working in ACCPAC 5.0 with SQL-Server Express. My server is getting slow and it takes a lot of time in executing crystal reports and queries. I want to fine tune DataBase just like DB tuning in oracle. plz tell me the tool/procedure to do the job.

Thanks

1. Set the recovery model to simple (it should be already), and shrink the log
2. Rebuild your indexes, or do a Dddump/Dbload

1) Database Dump
2) Delete sql database files (mdf and log)
3) Re-create blank databases (company and system)
4) Database load

First off Rebuild / Reorg / Update statistics on your indexes - the easiest way to do it right is run a script like the following every day/week (no harm in running it daily if you do it off hours).

If that's not enough then add RAM to the DB server.

Based on your question I'd say between these two you're set. If that's not the case you need to bone up a bit on SqlServer so you can figure out why.

Rebuilding indexes daily is not necessary, even if you're loading thousands of transactions each day. Once a week is fine, and for small systems once a month.

>Rebuilding indexes daily is not necessary

Total agree. That script doesn't rebuild the indexes. It looks at the indexes and chooses based on Microsoft defined best practices whether to update statistics, reorganize, or rebuild on an index by index basis.

I have following error during compilation of script for DB tunning

"Server: Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure dba_indexDefrag_sp, Line 464
Incorrect syntax near 'OBJECT_ID'."

please help in fixing it...thanx

Call the person who wrote the script, it's wrong. And why are you using a script in the first place? Use the SQL studio's UI to build a maintenance plan.

There are a ton of users of that script so the issue is almost certainly tied to your environment (user permissions, server permissions). I haven't had an issue with it (sqlserver 2008 R2 SP1 developer edition x86, sqlserver 2008 R2 SP1 Standard 64bit)

Have you tried posting your issue on the authors blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back