Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossbs

Programmer
Aug 19, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

Although I've been working with SQL for a while, encryption is not something I've worked with before - I've done a bit of reading up on BOL etc but have some specific questions I'm still not sure of the answer to...

- Is it possible to encrypt data so that it is encrypted only on the SQL side? (ie reports and queries wouldn't display the sensitive data)
- But... in the app that sits on top of the DB - values are not encrypted.

From what I've read - this is possible but means alot of messing about and changes are required to the application?

What I would ideally like is some form of encryption that requires no alterations to the application.

Is this possible? or am I living in a dream world?!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Which version of SQL are you using? You may be able to use Transparent Data Encryption (TDE).

If you encrypt a column then decrypting will be needed.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I don't do encryption...and would be curious to see the ultimate answer to this. But I see the issue as, you want the decryption done in SQL Server not the application. I would think if the decryption is done in SQL Server, you couldn't limit it to a specific application, so it would be more effective to have the decryption happen in the application.

If the application uses a specific login or can be identified someway in SQL Server you might be able to have a trigger or something that checks for that value and does the decryption. Maybe something like:
Code:
IF 
  BEGIN
    DECLARE @myPassphrase VARCHAR(10)
    SET @myPassphrase = 'OpenSesame'
    SELECT col1, col2, DecryptByPassphrase(@Passprase, col3, 0)
    FROM mytable
  END
ELSE
  SELECT col1, col2
  FROM mytable

You might have to pull the decrypted values into a temp table and then have that returned in the select. As I said, I don't work with encryption, but this is how I think it might have to work.

It would be a lot of work to set it up on the SQL Server side and I really think it would be easier to set the decryption in the application.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back