Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB design suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinbe

Programmer
Dec 30, 2004
US
Hi everyone,
I'm seeking for help with suggestions on design a large DB. Here is what I have so far....
40 records
each records contains 70 items with 1500 records
I created relational tables, forms with subform, but it does not seem looking well.
Please give me some advice

Please give me some advice
On WHAT ?
Please read carefully the 2nd FAQ in my sig.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I want to have a form to retrieve a record as needed. Please give me some advice on how the forms should be arrange to handle a huge amount of data
so far....
40 records
each records contains 70 columns and about 1500 records
....Thank you for your reminder, PHV

You should refer to the northwind databases. It sounds like you have very little expirience with forms. You should learn how to write queries, so that you can relate the data in forms and reports

There are many things to consider: Where did you get the data? How do you want to deal with it, do you want to print it, edit it, view it...1500 is not many records.
So you have 40 tables (you said records but that didn't make sense) each table has 70 columns and 1500 records. That's still only 60000 records..but anyways. good luck

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

40 tables that each have 70 fields/columns sounds like a un-normalized structure. You should rarely have more than 25-30 fields. Are all 40 tables of similar structure?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Thanks all for responding!
You all right, I don't have much experience with Access. It's the reason I join this forum to get help from you guys.
Right now, the data I have is in Excel. There are 40 tables in a similar structure of 70 columns and about 1500 rows. There are 40 tables because each table was started record at different time.
I hope that I make it clear now. Thank you

How about give us some info on what this app will do. You say that you have (will have) 40 tables that are similar; if the data is similar, will it be possible to combine into a single (or at least fewer tables). For instance, let's say that you have three tables that contain various point of info about apples, oranges, and bananas. If the tables track the same info, you could include an extra field called type (a= apple, b = bannana, o = orange). Here you would have all of your data in a single table.

In your instance, how are you wanting to return your data on your form? give us an idea on the format you wish to see.

I just want to store the data and be able to pull up those data by a search or a look up function.
You brought me to an easier way to describe my database. There are a= apple, b = bannana, o = orange in my garden. I plan them at different time in a year and I want to record how fast they can grow day by day. So I do have, for example 4 tables record which represent timeline I start to plan those trees, the column is a, b, o and the row should be the record day by day. So, is is possible to combine these tables in a single table???
Thanks for being patient with me. I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back