Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

db conversion to paradox 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrocutting

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2006
CA
i need some help converting my db from paradox 9 in which it works, to paradox 10. i tried the update.ssl and no go. i know nothing about programing in paradox. so any help would be great

There shouldn't be an 'conversion' necessary.

UNLESS you don't have the source code.

What does 'no go' mean?

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

WELL I RAN THE UPDATE.SSL AND IT SAID IT COULD NOT FIND 3 FORMS. BUT THEY ARE JUST JUNK FORMS THAT WE ARE NOT EVEN USING. BUT WHEN WE TRY TO RUN THE SCRIPT TO GET IN THE DATABASE IT SAYS FILE ALREADY IN USE, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. AND WHEN ALL THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE DONE MY MENU SCREEN IS THERE BUT THE BUTTONS DONT DO ANYTHING. THEY JUST HIGHLIGHT. BUT IN VERSION 9 EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT GOING TO VER 10 WOULD BE FAIRLY SEAMLESS. HOPE THIS HELPS

This sounds like an Application Framework application.

Is that correct?

Did you create it? Purchase it, or have someone else build it?

Tony McGuire

SOMEONE ELSE MADE IT FOR THE COMPANY THAT MY BOSS WORKED FOR IN THE STATES. KNOW WE ARE USING IT HERE. IT IS A VERY COMPLEX PROGRAM. IT DOES ALL OF OUR ESTIMATES, INVOICES, WORKORDERS, PACKING SLIPS, AND MUCH MORE THAT WE DONT EVEN USE. MY BOSS WAS USING THIS PROGRAM IN VERSION 8 IN THE STATES. BUT WHEN HE MOVED BACK HERE HE COULD NOT GET THAT VERSION. HE HAD TO GET THE LATES WHICH WAS PARADOX 9. BUT NOW OUR DISK IS FUCKED AND ALL WE CAN GET IS PARADOX 10 OR NEWER

Please refrain from using foul language, or I for one will not help.

No, you can still get Paradox 9.

is likely the easiest and cheapest you'll find. And the guy who runs it is upstanding.

If you purchased the program, we can't likely help. I'm gonna bet that there are files that are in .?dl format only. These can only be READ (used) by the version of Paradox that created them; they cannot be modified. And they can't even be READ by other versions of Paradox.

You are stuck using the same version of Paradox, or getting an update from the person who created the application for you.

If there aren't some files that come in the .?dl version only, it would be nearly impossible to help you anyway, based on your description of the complexity of the program.

Tony McGuire

SORRY FOR THE FOUL LANGUAGE. AND YES WE HAVE ABOUT 3-4 FILE THAT ARE .LDL . BUT THE REST ARE .DB, .FSL, .MB, .PX AND A FEW OTHERS. I GUESS THERE WAS NOT MUCH OF A CHANGE FROM VERSION 8 TO VERSION 9 THEN BECAUSE ALL WE DID WAS LOAD IT IN AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP AND RAN FINE. BUT IN VERSION 10 NO LUCK. AS FOR GETTING ANOTHER COPY OF 9 I WILL LOOK INTO IT AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

If you have only the .ldl, no .lsl, and they are used in the application, then you did NOT move from version 8 to version 9 without new versions of those files.

It is NOT possible.

Tony McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back