Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Daylight Savings

Status
Not open for further replies.

padkinson

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
Daylight savings has just happened and my clocks have some how jumped a hour. My clocks have springed forward 2 hours instead of one. I have a mix of win2k3 and win2k DCs. I had to install a three party clock software to get the time right, but I want this to be a temp solution. I need some ideas on how to fix my time problem. Thanks.

I have the same probllem. Only the w2k3 DC jumps 2 hours

1. Check to ensure that Daylight Savings is enabled on your computer - looks like it is but be sure.
2. Set the following registry entries under

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

LocalNTP REG_DWORD 0
ntpserver REG_SZ enter an IP of a trusted ntp server
Period REG_DWORD 0x00000018 (That's every hour)
type REG_SZ NTP

Now this should be set on one of your domain controllers.

On the individual computers you can use the

net time /setsntp:ip address of DC

Command to set the correct times. If you want you can set registry entries as above on the local machines as well. I use this approach rather than relying on the Domain timings as I have found that to be suspect in some installations I have worked on.

As for a trusted time source, my personal preference is to have something like my core router querying the Internet NTP servers for time and then acting as an NTP server for the rest of the network. For Internet NTP servers you can use the pools - Or, if your ISP has an NTP pool, you should use theirs.

As to why your system jumped 2 hours - I have no idea. MAybe it got it's time from another source which had already jumped forward and then it jumped itself?

Sorry, It actually jumps 1 hour ahead on a w2k3 DC.
We have a mix of win2k3 and win2k DCs. The PDC is on a W2K DC and only the W2k3(at eastern time zone) has the problem. we have another w2k3 DC at Arizona which I suspect it's the reason, but my manager says Microsoft has a special time zone for Arizona.even I change the Arizona DC time zone to Pacific time zone, the Easterntime zone DC still jumps 1 hour.

Thanks Castor66, do I edit the registry on the problematic DC? how do I find which server is the time server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back