Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dave / old ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfused

Technical User
Jan 27, 2001
US
how can i make this stop..when you mouse over a button i have sound..when the button is clicked the the scene changes..the same buttons are in the same spot on the next scene..so of course the users mouse would probably be in the same spot when the next scene opens..thus the mouse is over the same button it clicked and the sound goes of again..it makes it sound like the same sound is in the over and down frames of the button..but it is not..

take a look..

e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

also dave can you write a tutorial for that scrolling text faq you have..i downloaded the fla but it is confusing(atleast to me)..alot of mc's in that fla..just a bit confusing..found one on flashkit that was not as confusing but i think it was for flash 4..i really like the way you have that one set for scrolling on mouse over..but need some help understanding..

if you have time,
thanks..
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

yeah, the scripting in that is a bit intense from what I remember. But remembering the thread it was made for, it really was a complicating issue at the time. I think the thread explains everything, if you've got the patience to look for it. An FAQ for that one is down the list.

dave
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

what about the first question dave in the begining of this thread..any ideas?
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

hey Virt, could you use a movieclip of a transparent block which sits on top of the button and plays for a few seconds when the scene loads, rendering the button 'unpressable' for that amount of time? Not sure if this will work but i cant think of anything else. Nick Price
nick.price@misuk.net

what about a variable control check kind of thing.

on mouseover set a variable to 'one', use an IF statement to check if the variable is 'one', if it is, tell the sound clip to play. On press, you go to your scene, which in the first frame you enter sets this variable to 'two' immediately, so the variable won't register on the if statement.

The next time you 'rollover' the button the variable will return to one and the sound will play, and so on....

dave
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

jesus dave..why is everything so darn complicated..oh-well guess i better get use to it..now dave can you show me the code for that..
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

gimme a tick...
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

what about this:

button actions:

on (rollOver) {
_root.soundmc.play();
nextScene ();
}

Sound in second frame of mc inastance name "soundmc", stop action in first frame...does this work for you?
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

scrub that, forgot the on release bit...
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

will give it a try.. thanks
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

create sound mc, instance name "soundmc". Button in scene1 actions:
Code:
on (rollOver) {
    soundplay = "no";
    _root.soundmc.play();
}
on (release) {
    nextScene ();
}
button in scene2 and onwards actions:
Code:
on (rollOver) {
    if (soundplay=="yes") {
        _root.soundmc.play();
    }
}
on (rollOut) {
    soundplay = "yes";
}
on (release) {
    soundplay = "no";
    nextScene ();
}

this works for me...
dave
dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

dave that didn't work..might be me doing something wrong but no luck..
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

f2s seems down Carl! Your .gif ain't showing!
And I'm going to bed!
But Dave's proposal seems right!

;-)

probably is right..just not for me..will try again tomorrow..
e.gif

virtuality2001@aol.com

Carl,
Just worked something out for you... If you're just worried about getting rid of that second beep on the rollovers. But since the same buttons repeat from scene to scene, it means a lot of extra scripting for each of the buttons in all the scenes.
Basicly, as allways, Dave is right in his proposal!
Except for the nextScene (); part which won't work in your case...
Ain't workin' tomorrow morning... Will e-mail you then, the script for one button, you'll have to repeat for all the other ones.

Maybe loading your navigation bar as a separate movie on another level would simplify things. Will look into that!

Catch you later,

;-)

ok thanks man..
e.gif

carlsatterwhite@endangeredgraphics.com

Carl,

After a few hours of playing around with your .fla... It appears the easiest solution would simply be to make the button of the current scene, a graphic.
In other words, in the home scene turn your home button into a graphic. You do that in the instance panel switching the behavior from a button to a single frame graphic. Leave the other buttons of that scene as they are. In the aboutus scene, change the aboutus button into a graphic... And so forth in the other scenes.
Of course, when you're in the aboutus scene, the aboutus button will sort of be dissabled, which is more logical to me, but the beep sound will not repeat.

;-)

off to work will have a look when i get in..thanks old..
e.gif

carlsatterwhite@endangeredgraphics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back