Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

datetime type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casiopea

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
ES
I am importing from a text file the records for a table and I have problems with the date field. The values are like '04-01-2009 10:28' and the field type on the table is date, although I have tried timestamp or interval day(0) to second(0) and it didn't work. It never works.
I am importing the information with access import wizard tool, where I have linked through odbc to oracle.
Greetings and thank you.

The oracle DATE type includes a time component as well - so you're using the right data type. Just how you get your data into it is probably more of an access question than an oracle one. Maybe one for forum181 ?

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

If you are using sql*loader or external files, you need to define the date format in the control file (or the access parameters):
Code:
LOAD DATA
-- etc --
INTO ...
(col1
,col2_dt   DATE "MM-DD-YY HH24:MI"
,.. etc ...
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Well, I got to put the datetime into the date field and it doesn't give an error.
From Visual basic I assigne:
rsoracle.fields("fecha_u")=Format(mydate, "DD-MM-YYYY HH:MM:SS")

mydate is "04-06-2009 10:15" (spanish format)

then, to check the value in the table, I make a select:
select to_char(fecha_u,'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS') from pol_his;
it returns "04-06-2009 00:00:00".
Why it does not keep the time?

I have found out the problem. I had the format for the field en visual basic and a trigger in oracle like this:
BEGIN
IF :NEW.FECHA_U IS NULL THEN
:NEW.FECHA_U := NULL;
ELSE
:NEW.FECHA_U := to_date:)NEW.FECHA_U,'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI');
END IF;
END;
if the trigger is active it doesn't store the time, however if I disable the trigger, it stores the format 'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS' written in visual basic.
My question is why the trigger does not work.
Thank you

Fecha_u is a date field. What the trigger is doing is an implicit conversion to the default format for a date in character and then converting it back to date. Your trigger is useless and should be removed.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back