Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DateSerial problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel009

Programmer
Jul 7, 2000
US
I am trying to set up a query that will select values before the first day of the current month and the last day 2 months ago. Essentially getting all the records for the previous month. I am trying to use the DateSerial, and I can get all records before the first day of the current month but when I add in the part for the greater than the last day 2 months previouos it does not return any records.
Can anyone see what I'm doing wronng?

This works fine excluding the current months records:
SELECT AssetCenterImport.[Remarks (Problem)], AssetCenterImport.[Notified On]
FROM AssetCenterImport INNER JOIN T_InventoryBilling ON AssetCenterImport.SerialNo = T_InventoryBilling.IB_SerialNumber
WHERE (((AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])>Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now()),1),"m/d/yyyy")));

this returns no records:
FROM AssetCenterImport INNER JOIN T_InventoryBilling ON AssetCenterImport.SerialNo = T_InventoryBilling.IB_SerialNumber
WHERE (((AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])>Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now()),1),"m/d/yyyy") And (AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])<Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now())-1,1)-1,"m/d/yyyy")));

When I run the DateSerial part in the debugger it returns the desired date.

Can't figure it out.

Think you might have your > and < the wrong way round. Should it be:

Code:
WHERE 
(((

AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])  [b]<[/b]  Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now()),1),"m/d/yyyy") 

And (

AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])  [b]>[/b]  Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now())-1,1)-1,"m/d/yyyy")

));

Does it help if you use Between rather than the < and > signs?

You could also use Month(Date()) rather than Month(Now())

Tom

Hi,

You could also consider using...
Code:
Where Format(AssetCenterImport.[Notified On], "yyyymm") = Format(DateSerial(Year(Date(), Month(Date()-1,1), "yyyymm")

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] For those this winter, caught in Arctic-like calamity, be consoled...
Many are cold, but few are frozen![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for the suggestions, I finally got it working. Here is the query:
UPDATE AssetCenterImport INNER JOIN T_InventoryBilling ON AssetCenterImport.SerialNo = T_InventoryBilling.IB_SerialNumber SET T_InventoryBilling.IB_CurrentChange = [AssetCenterImport].[Remarks (Problem)]
WHERE (((AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])<Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now()),1),"m/d/yyyy") And (AssetCenterImport.[Notified On])>Format(DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now())-1,1)-1,"m/d/yyyy")));
Needed a few more grouping parenthesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back