Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dates "corrupting" on others PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuKregor

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
AU
I have a database that appends, amongst other things, the Date() function to a table via an SQL statement. On PC this work beatifully but in one of the areas that need to use this isn't working correctly. Instead of the date appending as dd/mm/ccyy (Australian format) it's somehow going in as yy/mm/ccdd. I know it's not the function because when I treat it as a string it's coming up in the right format.

Anyone had this issue or suggest a solution?

It sounds as if some of the PCs have the Control Panel Regional Settings for dates set to the wrong format. When dates are entered by the user, Access tries to figure out which part is the month, which the day, and which the year. But some dates, particularly those near the beginning of a month, are ambiguous, and even more so now that we are past the 90s. Is 02/03/01 February 3rd 2001, or March 2nd 2001, or January 3rd 2002? You and I can't tell, and neither can Access. When Access encounters an ambiguous date, it assumes the format given in the local Control Panel setting of the computer. So if different PCs have different local settings, the same entry will sometimes be interpreted as different dates.

The dates that are already in your database will have to be fixed manually. To avoid this problem in the future, your users need to consistently use the format specified in the Control Panel Regional Settings applet. They can change the setting to their preference if they like, but make sure they know that doing so can have consequences in other applications (Access and non-Access alike) as well. Rick Sprague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back