Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DatePart Function 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewfieSarah

Programmer
Feb 7, 2005
CA
Hey all I have a I was wondering if you knew how I can get a part of my datepart function out, I have taken the year from the the date with the date part function and now I need only the 05, so what can I do to get it out? Thanks MY CODE: Dim Num as string Num = DatePart("yyyy", STRDATE)
I looked up the code for a right function and it is suppose to work on a string, so I tryed it on this. My CODE:
Dim Year As String
Year = RIGHT(Num, 2)
I obtained a type mismatch WHY???

Why not simply this ?
strYear = Format(strDate, "yy")

Note: avoid to use keyword (like YEAR) as variable name ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

yes I have realized that now I have changed it to MYYEAR however the code that you presented my with PHV is a format that is not what I amlooking for really. I need the 05 to use to concantenate together with my record numbers. With this code I am getting a type mismatch

MY CURRENT CODE:

Dim Num As String
Dim count As String
Dim MYYEAR As String
Dim NUMBER As String

count = DCount("*", "Building")
count = count + 1
Num = Str(DatePart("yyyy", STRDATE))
MYYEAR = RIGHT(Num, 2)
' NUMBER = MYYEAR + " - " + count

PERMIT.SetFocus
PERMIT.Text = MYYEAR (NUMBER)

Something like this ?
Dim myCount As Long

PERMIT.SetFocus
myCount = 1 + Nz(DCount("*", "Building"), 0)
PERMIT.Text = Format(strDate, "yy") & " - " & myCount

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

OH MY you are a life saver thanks for all the help. AMAZING! Hey have you seem some of my other post? Maybe you could help me with some of those!! Thanks again so much.

So I have had a bit of time to look at this code, and it is really good. however I am just looking at the add and delete buttons, once I add and delete I can added 2 records 1002 and 1003 and then I deleted 1002 and I could add 1003 again. so I would have 2 1003 that is not really a good thing now is it?? So how can I solve this problem?? Thanks

Have a look at the DMax function.

Hope This Helps, PH.

So your opinion is the DMax function is the best on to use??

The less worst if you don't have 2 users willing a new PERMIT at same time ...

Hope This Helps, PH.

you wouldnt have any idea how I can use it in my code do you?? I am not real sure on this function??

Typed, not tested (assumptions: the table Building has a field named Permit formatted like 'yy - #'):
Dim myCount As Long
PERMIT.SetFocus
myCount = 1 + Nz(DMax("Val(Mid(Permit,6))", "Building"), 0)
PERMIT.Text = Format(strDate, "yy") & " - " & myCount

Hope This Helps, PH.

no my building table is not formated it is formated on the form only. in my table my PERMIT field is text. I will give it a try. Thanks

so I tryed that code,and I got an error for a data type mismatch in criteria expression. So what does that mean, how can I fix that??

Which criteria ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

i dont know I added the code that you posted that wasnt tested and that was the error I got, nothing to debug or anything!!! so it has somehting to do with that code. any ideas what is worng with it?? Thanks so much

You may try this:
myCount = 1 + Val(Mid(DMax("Permit", "Building") & "", 6))

Hope This Helps, PH.

Well it got ride of the error, but now I only get 05-3 not 05-10003, and they are not increasing or decreaing on delete. just 3 every time.Thanks

Hey PHV, I was wondering if you think it was a good idea to validate, the number if it already exists then add one more?? Since when I delete it can add the same number again, it should work to add a new record, and check to see if it exists. So what do you think?? How would I do that?? Thanks for all the help

Have a look at the links I've posted in this thread:
thread702-1145516

Hope This Helps, PH.

yes but they dont help, I am not looking for autonumber help. I was just wondering now that i have my calculated number field, how would I be able to validate it? so that when I add a new record. That if the number is suppose to be 10002 and it is already in my database then have 10003 show up instead?? that way I only have one 10002 instead of two... Hey did you see my other post about default populated data?? Have any ideas on that??Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back