Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DateDiff question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT4EVR

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
I'm simply trying to Sum the difference between two smalldatetime fields with a format of medium time. This is a calculated field on the form, NOT in the query. I'm getting an #Error on this one.

Code:
=Sum(DateDiff("h",[Time_In],[Time_Out]))

In a view, I'm able to do this and it works:
Code:
Sum(DateDiff(hour,[Time_In],[Time_Out]))

How can I get this to work on the form?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do: " Sum the difference "? DateDiff returns an integer, DateAdd returns a date, and it is possible to DateAdd negative numbers (which has the net effect of subtraction).

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
-Poe

This is a time entry form, with fields like Work_Date, Time_In, Time_Out. This is a continuous form for all work dates for a given pay period.

In an Access Project, I have a subform, which serves as this continuous form. I want to create a sum of all the hours worked for that pay period. Normally what I do is create a text box in the header or footer, and create a function to calculate the Sum of all hours worked.

I tried Sum([Time_Out]-[Time_In]) with an error.
I tried Sum(DateDiff("h",[Time_In],[Time_Out])) with an error.

I can do this in Access but not in Sql Server.

If this code is giving you an error with the code like this
=Sum(DateDiff("h",[Time_In],[Time_Out]))
In SQL Server 2005 I am able to take the quotes out around the h and it will work. The code looks like this below
=Sum(DateDiff(h,[Time_In],[Time_Out]))
I know that when I was trying to get days what I had to do was a code like this 'DateDiff(h,GetDate())-'and then after the subtraction symbol the time that the date would be coming up. I am not sure if this answered anything for you, but it sounds like the problem I had, and this cleared things up for me.

In the past, I have created a hidden text box, mytxtbox, in each line of data on the form with the calculation I want. In your case it would be =DateDiff("h",[Time_In],[Time_Out])). Then the formula in the text box in the header or footer would be =sum([mytxtbox])

Thanks for your reply. Even when I did that I got an error. I am actually in the process of porting this app to ASP.NET so I will no longer be using the ADP. I was more or less just using it as a template.

I found ADP's to be very buggy and inefficient. No wonder Microsoft is scrapping them.

I would solve this problem different. If would use an hidden unbound textbox (say calcDifference) on every row with this calculation:
DateDiff("h",[Time_In],[Time_Out])

then in the form footer: Sum([calcDifference])

Pampers [afro]
Just back from holiday...
that may it explain it.

Where are the fields
[Time_In] and [Time_Out] defined.

Are these names of textboxes on the continuous form?

Time_In and Time_Out are defined as bound fields in a continuous form. I am able to create a calculated field (txtDailyHrs) in the form (not query) for each row to get the total hours worked for that day. However, if I create a text box in the footer or header of the form and set the control source to =SUM([txtDailyHrs])I get a #Error in the text box. I've done the same thing in Access and it works.

The error seems to be regarding doing an aggregate function SUM on a date field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back