Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

datediff hh:mm:ss 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

le1234

Technical User
May 12, 2006
GB
i need to be able to calculate the difference between to dates and show the results as hh:mm:ss

Code:
[COLOR=blue]DECLARE[/color] @Test [COLOR=#FF00FF]datetime[/color]
[COLOR=blue]SET[/color] @Test = [COLOR=red]'20061112'[/color]
[COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]DateDiff[/color](ss, @test, [COLOR=#FF00FF]GETDATE[/color]()) [COLOR=blue]AS[/color] DTDiff

[COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color]([COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color](Tbl1.DTDiff/3600 [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]int[/color]) [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]varchar[/color](20))+[COLOR=red]':'[/color]+
       [COLOR=#FF00FF]RIGHT[/color]([COLOR=red]'00'[/color]+[COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color]([COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color]((Tbl1.DTDiff - [COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color](Tbl1.DTDiff/3600 [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]int[/color])*3600)/60 [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]int[/color]) [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]varchar[/color](2)),2)+[COLOR=red]':'[/color]+
       [COLOR=#FF00FF]RIGHT[/color]([COLOR=red]'00'[/color]+[COLOR=#FF00FF]CAST[/color](Tbl1.DTDiff%60 [COLOR=blue]as[/color] [COLOR=blue]varchar[/color](20)),2)
[COLOR=blue]FROM[/color] ([COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]DateDiff[/color](ss, @test, [COLOR=#FF00FF]GETDATE[/color]()) [COLOR=blue]AS[/color] DTDiff) Tbl1

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP1, SQL Server 2000/2005.
MVP VFP

You could also use this method:
Code:
[COLOR=blue]Declare[/color] @Start [COLOR=#FF00FF]DateTime[/color]
[COLOR=blue]Declare[/color] @End [COLOR=#FF00FF]DateTime[/color]
[COLOR=blue]Declare[/color] @Difference [COLOR=#FF00FF]DateTime[/color]

[COLOR=blue]Set[/color] @Start = [COLOR=red]'06/18/2007 8:00:00 AM'[/color]
[COLOR=blue]Set[/color] @End = [COLOR=red]'06/18/2007 11:41:45 AM'[/color]
[COLOR=blue]Set[/color] @Difference = @End - @Start

[COLOR=blue]Select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](hh, @Difference), [COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](mi, @Difference), [COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](ss, @Difference)

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

thanks ca8msm, i am trying to put this method into a query so that the difference will be calculated for the multiple rows returned. So i put the field name in the set statement instead of a specified date, but I get an error......can you recommend another way?

If you are doing it as part of your SQL Statement, you can just calculate the difference by subtracting one date field from the other e.g.
Code:
[COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] 
	[COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](hh, datetwo - dateone),
	[COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](mi, datetwo - dateone), 
	[COLOR=#FF00FF]DATEPART[/color](ss, datetwo - dateone)
[COLOR=blue]FROM[/color] TABLENAME

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

that was exactly what i needed.
Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back