Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date stamp and directories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2009
MX
Hi, the date you get executing ls -alt, regarding directories, is the date when the directory was created or the date of last modification inside directory?

Thanks Duke, but I don't count with a UNIX like system now; that is why I was asking for.

Why do you want to know then?

Is this a homework question?

It is the date of the last modification made inside the directory.

DON'T ask any more irrelevant questions here please.

Yes, this could be compleatly irrelevant for someone who doesn't understand the implications of a date different from what was expected to see; some small minded snob like you for example.

Note: If you complain about this post with the administrator, you´re still a little small minded.

man ls

Code:
-l (Lower case L) Displays the mode, number of links, owner, group, size (in bytes), and [b]time of last modification for each file[/b]. If the file is a special file, the size field contains the major and minor device numbers. If the time of last modification is greater than six months ago, the time field is shown in the format month date year where as files modified within six months the time field is shown as month date time format.

Regards,
Khalid

No, really, don't mention it.
I was glad I was able to answer your question for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back