Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Range Calculation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermaestro

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi

I'm developing a database for an Accountants form. They need a Year End field whichis essentially dd/mm i.e 01/02 for Feb 1st. Basically how can I search for date ranges using just day and month without the year? I know that the following works with the year added but need to use it without the year:

If Not IsNull(Me.Year_End_From) Then
strWhere = strWhere & " (contacts.[Year End] >= #" & Format(Me.Year_End_From, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#) AND"
End If

If Not IsNull(Me.Year_End_To) Then
strWhere = strWhere & &quot; (contacts.[Year End] <= #&quot; & Format(Me.Year_End_To, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;) & &quot;#) AND&quot;
End If

Can anybody help. Would I also have to make the field 'Year End' in my contacts table equal to text rather than date/time has it is at present?

You should be able to compare a string like &quot;01/02&quot; to parts of the date. Check out the DatePart() function. In help, go tto Contents / Visual Basic Language Reference ' Functions / D-G / DatePart.

An example using DatePart():

strWhere = strWhere & &quot; (contacts.[Year End] >= '&quot; & _
DatePart(&quot;d&quot;,Me.Year_End_From)) & &quot;/&quot; & _
DatePart(&quot;m&quot;,Me.Year_End_From) & &quot;' AND&quot;
End If

From that, you should be able to figure out the comparison for Me.Year_End_To.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I'm still struggling with this. The Year End is stored as text i.e 01/02 for 1st Feb in the contacts database. A form is used to get the Year End From date i.e. 01/01 and the Year End To Date i.e 01/03. I want to return the records for those that fall in between. The code is a small part of a query that I build up. However, the following code results in an Object expected or other error. Any ideas on the syntax so that I can calculate the ranges? Thanks

yearEndFrom = Me.Year_End_From & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;yyyy&quot;, Date)

'strWhere = strWhere & &quot; (contacts.[Year End] >= #&quot; & Format(yearEndFrom, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;) & &quot;#) AND&quot;

strWhere = strWhere & DatePart(&quot;d&quot;, contacts.[Year End]) & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;m&quot;, contacts.[Year End]) & &quot; >= #&quot; & DatePart(&quot;d&quot;, Me.Year_End_From) & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;m&quot;, Me.Year_End_From) & &quot;# AND&quot;
End If

If Not IsNull(Me.Year_End_To) Then
yearEndTo = Me.Year_End_To & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;yyyy&quot;, Date)

'strWhere = strWhere & &quot; (contacts.[Year End] <= #&quot; & Format(yearEndTo, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;) & &quot;#) AND&quot;

strWhere = strWhere & DatePart(&quot;d&quot;, contacts.[Year End]) & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;m&quot;, contacts.[Year End]) & &quot; <= #&quot; & DatePart(&quot;d&quot;, Me.Year_End_To) & &quot;/&quot; & DatePart(&quot;m&quot;, Me.Year_End_To) & &quot;# AND&quot;

End If

I am assuming that you want to open a recordset containing records that have a date between (for example) Jan 3(03/01) and Mar 6(06/03) with no year:

Also I assume that in your Table [year end] is a string that is of the format &quot;01/02&quot; (1 feb)

*NOTE: this is not US date format of mm/dd/yyyy

try this SQL

SELECT CDate([date] & &quot;/&quot; & Year(Now())) AS date_adjust
FROM [mytable]
WHERE (((CDate([date] & &quot;/&quot; & Year(Now())))>=CDate([from_date] & &quot;/&quot; & Year(Now())) And (CDate([date] & &quot;/&quot; & Year(Now())))<=CDate([to_date] & &quot;/&quot; & Year(Now()))));

* this works with US styl dates, If your system default is set to dd/mm/yyyy then it should also work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back