Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Query in Access DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmith425

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
I'm trying to do a SQL query against an Access 2002 DB with a Date/Time field. The format of the field is "mm.dd.yyyy hh:mm:ss AM"

I'm using a calendar control to get a date to search the database. My SQL statement looks like this:

Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE DateEntered Like " & Calendar1.SelectedDate

but it returns nothing.

or if I try and use "LIKE" as in the statement below I get nothing:

Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE DateEntered Like '*' & #4/30/2003# & '*'"

What am I missing? Any help greatly appreciated.
Marc

I think you are probably having problems with the formatting. I would use some of the date formatting methods and see if you can't format your values to be similar. For example:

Dim myDate as Date = Calendar1.SelectedDate

myDate = myDate.StartDate.ToLongDateString

Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE DateEntered = " & myDate

Just a guess...

When querying datetimes through the JET engine, you have to use the US date format (regardless of what format you may have set access to display).
Examples:
"SELECT * FROM tblTest WHERE MyDateTime BETWEEN #04/30/1970 07:45:32# AND #03/24/1975 23:04:23#"
"SELECT * FROM tblTest WHERE MyDateTime=#05/14/1972 10:45:32#"

Sunaj
'The gap between theory and practice is not as wide in theory as it is in practice'

Problem Solved!

Thank you all for your input and nudging toward the answer. What I eventually did was as follows:

Dim myDate as Date = Calendar1.SelectedDate
Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE (DateEntered Between #" & myDate & " 0:1:0# And #" & myDate & " 23:59:0#)"

Thanks again.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back