Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date or Varchar data field for timestamp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudejohn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2003
US
Okay here's my problem:

I am writing an application which will log metrics data for a transaction into an ORACLE database. The key data piece we need is a timestamp... for start and stop time. The events, though, sometimes take as little as 10 milliseconds, and Oracle only stores timestamps down to the SECOND. So the way I see it, I have two options:

(1) Use the Date field in the database. Store the start and stop time that way, and ALSO store an integer which is calculated using timeInMillis(). Then the start/stop date field isn't USED in calculating the elapsed time.
(2) Create the timestamp in Java, which would include milliseconds, and insert it into a VARCHAR field. Then, when we pull it out, use Java to add/subtract, etc.

Which of these, in your opinions, is more efficient? Our development team is split...

RudeJohn

java will use the System.currentTimeMillis() function.Date calculation won't be difficult.
Assuming that you store your data as string,
data convertion would look like this
java.sql.Date myDate=new java.sql.Date(Long.parseLong(yourdatetimestampasstring);
No need to keep 2 data where one will do.

Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
s.sipahi@sahinlerholding.com.tr
turkey_clr.gif

Thank you, your response is quite helpful.

RJ

RudeJohn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back