Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date in Query criteria returning incorrect records

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsel

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
AU
Hi

I am having a wonderful date problem when trying to limit records in a query.

I am trying to return all the records with a date (entered by the user) earlier than the calculated field, TargetDate

TargetDate: DateAdd("m",2,[Request rec'd])

The expression works if I hardcode the date into the criteria but I need to be able to make it dynamic - allowing the user to enter the date of their choice.

Criteria:
<=#09/01/2004# (this works and displays the correct records)

<=&quot;#&quot; & [Enter Date] & &quot;#&quot; (returns no records - the data is there)

<=[Enter Date] (returns incorrect records, each differing with different dates entered - cannot find a pattern)

SQL of entire query:
SELECT tblRequestMain.[Allocation No], tblRequestMain.[Court Ref], tblRequestMain.[Family Name], tblProceedingType.Proceedings, tblRequestMain.[Request rec'd], DateAdd(&quot;m&quot;,2,[Request rec'd]) AS TargetDate, tblRequestMain.[Initial Court], tblRequest.[Date appointed]
FROM (tblRequest RIGHT JOIN tblRequestMain ON tblRequest.[Allocation No] = tblRequestMain.[Allocation No]) INNER JOIN tblProceedingType ON tblRequestMain.Proceedings = tblProceedingType.Code
WHERE (((DateAdd(&quot;m&quot;,2,[Request rec'd]))<=#1/1/2004#) AND ((tblRequest.[Date appointed]) Is Null));

I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Sel

Have you tried using the full path to the user entered date for the criteria?

<=[Forms]![your_form_name]![Enter Date]

I am just using a prompt box to get the date from the user not a form (i.e. in the criteria of the query <=[Enter Date]). Is there anything I am leaving out of the criteria (to prompt for the date)?

Thanks,
Sel

Hi dragonsel,

Is this a date format issue? Jet SQL uses US format (mm/dd/yyyy) to resolve ambiguities in date literals. Try ..

<=Format([Enter Date],&quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

For some reason the format function won't work in this instance and the query does not return any records. I don't get any error messages. Any ideas on why this would be?

Thanks
Sel

Hi dragonsel,

Sorry, I should have read your SQL a bit more carefully.

This can get a bit confusing sometimes, but you must compare like with like - dates against dates, strings against strings, etc.

The DateAdd function returns a Date and so must be compared against another date, so this should work ..

DateAdd(&quot;m&quot;,2,[Request rec'd])<=CDate([Enter Date])

.. alternatively, this would convert both to strings in comparable formats and should also work ..

Format(DateAdd(&quot;m&quot;,2,[Request rec'd]),&quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)<=Format([Enter Date],&quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back