Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnermac

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I am fairly new to SQL and I have been looking around for a few days to find out the way to format a date in Oracle.

I don't want the time stamp to display and have tried using the:

to_char(fieldname,'DD-MON-YYYY')

command, but then the sort on this field is alphabetical.

Could someone please help a budding novice please.

If you don't specify a format, Oracle will display the date in whatever the default format is for your system. You can determine the default by noting the output of the query

SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE
---------
21-NOV-01

If this format is acceptable, you can sort without doing any formatting at all. For example

select fieldname from your_table
order by fieldname;

Note that the sort will be in date order, not an alphabetical sort by the way the date is displayed.

On the other hand, suppose you wanted to change the format but still sort on the date rather than the character string:

SELECT to_char(date_field,'Month,YYYY')
FROM my_table
ORDER BY date_field;

will display your data as character strings, but still sort on the underlying date/time.

Thanks for your replies.

I have found the problem. I started by trying the TRUNC command using MSQuery. It seems there is a limitation to the TRUNC command and it still displays the time stamp. I have tried it in PL/SQL and it worked fine.

Looks like Microsoft have strayed from the standards again!

If you wrap the order field with the same formatting, you will get what you are looking for (see below);

FROM my_table
ORDER to_char(date_field,'Month,YYYY');

Sorry I meant;

FROM my_table
ORDER BY to_char(date_field,'Month,YYYY');

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back