Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Formatting w/holidays and weekends 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentwoodjean

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
Having a few date issues based on some queries I need to combine for a report.
I have 2 append queries that run each work day, Monday thru Friday. They provide me data based on the previous business day’s results and result in a weekly report. For the date feature, I needed to create an expression as follows to get my previous days results in inventory.

Weekend: [Closed Dt]-1-Weekday([Closed Dt])

This works fine until I run into the weekend or a 3 day holiday as I did with Good Friday. How should this be formatted to account for those 3 day holiday, or 2 day regular weekends?

You are going to have to create a function and call the function from your query to do you computations. Even that will require a means to store holidays (table) so your function can check for a holiday. I suggest a table rather than attempting to place the holiday dates in your function.

Totally untested function. As noted, it requires you to have a table named "Holidays" which contains a field called "HoliDates" with your holidays entered. Another advantage of using something like this is you can enter a date any time a day becomes a non-workday, such as a snow day, perhaps, or JFK is shot again.
Code:
Public Function LastWorkDay(Dt As Date) As Date
    [green]' Dt is the date in question[/green]
    Dim WD As Integer
    WD = Weekday(Dt)
    If WD = 2 Then
        [green]' if Monday, subtract 3 to reflect Friday[/green]
        LastWorkDay = Dt - 3
    Else
        [green]' else subtract 1 to reflect day before[/green]
        LastWorkDay = Dt - 1
    End
    [green]'assuming table named Holidays contains field named HoliDate containing holiday dates
    ' looped to cover 2 day holidays (Thanksgiving??)
    ' or any other reason for day off[/green]
    Do While IsDate(DLookup("HoliDate", "Holidays", "HoliDate = #" & LastWorkDay & "#")) = True
        [green]'DLookUp looks for holiday falling on the LastWorkDay[/green]
        LastWorkDay = LastWorkDay - 1
    Loop
End Function

I hate to appear totally ignorant, but writing/using functions is not something that I typcially do so I have 2 questions. I have created the Holiday table, and also the function as you have indicated above. Does this then replace the expression I created and therefore should remove it? 2nd dumb question. When I run the query that will then call out the function for me? Thanks in advance for your patience, but this helping me learn.

Your query should now be:

Weekend: LastWorkDate([Closed Dt])

Leslie

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Jean, Leslie,

I won't be able to followup on this thread due to a personal situation. Leslie, do you mind helping Jean if more help is needed?

MoLaker

no problem, hope everything works out, take care.

les

OK, I'm going to work on it this evening and will let you know how it all works out. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back