Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date format

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinetic123

Programmer
Nov 23, 2001
US
I have a 'datetime' column,that when used in a prompt displays the date in ascendind/ descending order. i.e the dates are arranged by year, then by month and then by date.

Now when i display this 'datetime' column as a string in mm/dd/yyyy format in a prompt, the display order is different. i.e a particulat month and year are displayed for all the years and then the next month and date combination is taken. I know this is because of the ascii value of the string that is generated. Is there a workaround so that i can see all the dates yearwise in mm/dd/yyyy format in a prompt?

Kinetic,

Make a report picklist with two columns based on the date-time database column. Make one of them a date-to-string conversion. Sort the column by the original date-time report column. Then display the converted date, but use the original date-time in your filter.

This should do it.

Regards,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back