Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

date format

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsam

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
CA
I am subtracting two dates date1 - date2 I have found that to_char((date1 - date2)*1440) give me the minutes between the two dates,but I would like to get the format of hh:mi:ss for the results. Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

When you subtracted the 2 dates and multipled by 1440, you created an integer. The date format is gone and you cannot directly get HH:MI:SS using to_char.

Are you trying to figure out how many hours, minutes and seconds are between the 2 dates? If so...let's use 44645 as the number of seconds calculated..

For hours, divide the result by 3600 and trunacte the result for hours: floor(44645/3600) = 12 hours

For minutes, take the even remainder (mod) of the number of hours: floor(mod(44645,3600)/60) = 24 minutes

For seconds, take the even remainder (mod) of the number of minutes: mod(mod(44645,3600),60) = 5 seconds

I hope this is what you needed.
=================================
Thomas V. Flaherty Jr.
Birch Hill Technology Group, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back