Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date field type Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubberhead10

Technical User
Sep 13, 2006
US
I have two windows xp sp 3 machines both running crystal reports 11. When I open the same exact report on both of the machines and browse to one of the date fields. One of the machines will prompt you to fix the report up then show the date as an actual date and the other will not ask to fix up the report and show it as a number. I have been scratching my head on the for a few weeks now and have not been able to figure it out and its causing a big issue because 90% of the reports are date driven half work the other half not......thanks for any help
1computer.jpg
2computer.jpg

pervasive database
crystal reports 11
both machines win xp sp3

It is interesting to note that browsing the data shows the field as a number, not a date. It is possible that the Crystal Reports is configured differently on the two machines. I would double check the settings for the field types (File - Options - Fields).

Thanks.

Thanks, I checked on both systems and the options fields settings are both the same, set to system defaults. I actually changed them just to see if it made any difference, but it did not. oddly I believe it to be something system related, I installed a program called datalink viewer and had the same issue when running the reports

hi,

Dates are NUMBERS, just as you see in your second example.

However, your NUMBERS have not been FORMATTED to DISPLAY Date/Time in some specified format.

The first indicates Type: Date

The latter indicates Type: Number

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

that is my issue......the report displays the birth date field as a date when ran on one system but displays as a number on another system. if the problem was localized to a single machine I would just blow it off but its about 50-50 on how it displays and its not just this one report it is any report that has a date field.......Thanks

Can you not change the Type?

Skip,
[sub]

I do not believe so, the database is a pervasive database and it uses ddf files to get the field definitions. this is why I am so confused because it is looking at the same ddf file you would think it would be the same.......

Is there some chance that the driver (ODBC?) is not the same on both machines? It is a long shot, but it is the only thing I can think of.

I just went and looked at the obdc drivers and all the versions are the exact same on both machines

Looks to me like your example is in PREVIEW.

What about selecting DESIGN?

Your probelm is NOT the ODBC Driver!!! It's the FORMAT of this column/field. Seems to me that the format could be manipulated in DESIGN.

Just my 2cents as an outside observer.

Skip,
[sub]

This might Help resolve this issue, on the one machine that show the birthdate as an actual date the following screen shots come up wanting you to fix up the database
fixdb.gif
fixdb2.gif

you have to deselect the match type to be able to map it again....if I am not mistaken pervasive get its database field type from a file in the database called, in my case field.ddf
Thanks everyone for your help on this

I believe the database field has been changed since you created the report. You have to somehow force to refresh the database. In the particular machine, select Database Expert and right click on the Database name; if you see an option to Refresh, you can try that and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back