Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date field - set Default to Previous Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccma

MIS
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hi~
I have created a form that will be used on the first week every month, the data entered is based on the previous month. I have currently set the date field to default to
=Format(Now(),"mm/""01""/yy") what I would like the field to do is to give me the previous month as "04/01/04". Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help. CC

You can try something like this,

Code:
   If Month(Date) = 1 Then  'January
      Debug.Print Format("12/01/" & Year(Date) - 1, "mm/dd/yyyy")
   Else 'any other month
      Debug.Print Format(Month(Date) - 1 & "/01/" & Year(Date), "mm/dd/yyyy")
   End If

The condition is for when you are going back from Jan to Dec of the previous year.

zemp

Or:

Code:
=Format(DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())-1,1),"mm/dd/yy")

HTH,
Bob [morning]

Thank you both for the reply... I went the easy route and used BobJacksonNCI's code- it worked like a charm! I'm fairly new at code and was not sure at what event I should assign zemp's code to... but I tried. Thank you both. CC

I wish SQL Server had the equivalent of the DateSerial function (Date() in Excel).

ESquared, have you tried the GETDATE() function in SQL Server?

zemp

Hi Zemp,

The Date() function in Excel does not give the current date.

Instead, it receives values for a month, day, and year, and returns a valid date serial number.

[tt]=Date(2004,7,4)[/tt]

Evaluates to 38172, which is the number of days since December 31, 1899, which is the date July 4, 2004.

in MS SQL if you cast the date to a float it will give you the days since 1/1/1900 as the value to the left of the decimal. This is doing the same as ESquared's requested =DATE() function

Code:
Select 
Cast(0 as datetime) as defaultdate, 
DateDiff(dd,'1/1/1900',GetDate()) as CurrentDaysFromDefault,
Cast(Cast(GetDate() as float) as int) as DATECast

results:
defaultdate            CurrentDaysFromDefault  DATECast           
---------------------- ---------------------- ----------- 
1900-01-01 00:00:00.000 38186                  38186

(1 row(s) affected)

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

MDXer,

That is nothing like the Date() function. Date() accepts THREE parameters, not one. The equivalent in VB is DateSerial(y,m,d).

In any case, I have experimented with casting to a float in the past and found it to be inaccurate in some situations... something to do with 23:59:59.997 and precision, giving the wrong date. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it in a few short minutes, here. I'll let you know if I find an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back