Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date field problems (I'm pretty sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullaway

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
US
Good morning all,

Access 97

I'm trying to use a date field (date of birth) as part of a process to check and see if the customer already exist in our db. I'm using a DLookup variant (varDOB) to search the db for a matching DOB then in my code I'm asking if the date of birth typed in this new record matches varDOB to fire a message.

In my testing I picked a record that I know matches but never get the message. I'm using other fields besides the DOB field to see if there's a matching record. I have tried each field individually to see if they work and they all do except the DOB, so I'm thinking it has something to do with it being a date field.
Could someone lend a hand on how to do this? Please!

Heres the part of the code for DOB

Dim varDOB As Variant
varDOB = DLookup("DOB", "Customers", "[DOB] = Forms![Customers]![DOB]")

If Me.DOB = varDOB Then
MsgBox "etc,etc"

TIA
Shane

I'm not sure. But you might try putting # signs around the variant reference to see if that makes it be treated as a date:

if me.DOB = #varDOB# Then . . .

Thanks hsitz, but it didn't work. It fired an error message stating that I had a syntax error and identified where I had put the # signs.

Is the me.DOB reference to a date field in a the underlying record source, or to a text box control? If it's to a text box control, then that may be where you need to put the # signs:

if #me.DOB# = varDOB then . . .

Use the # signs in the DLookup call.

varDOB = DLookup("DOB", "Customers", "[DOB] = #" & Forms![Customers]![DOB] & "#") Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Darn! Should have been obvious. Thanks Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back