Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

runals

Technical User
May 20, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a text field with a date like "Tuesday 14 Apr '09". I need to either change that to a standard date via a query, or be able to sort on records that have dates between X and Y. Can someone help me to make the conversion?

Thnaks in advance

Andrew

If it is indeed a text field then you could use a UDF, something like (this has NO error handling but should give you an idea):
Code:
Public Function ConvertDate(varDate As String) As Date
Dim arrTemp() As String

arrTemp = Split(varDate, " ")

ConvertDate = DateSerial(CInt(Replace(arrTemp(3), "'", "")), month("01-" & arrTemp(2) & "-2009"), CInt(arrTemp(1)))

End Function
Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before posting.

Hi,

Replace the apostrophy with NOTHING.

Strip the Day of Week

Convert the "date string" part to a Real Date.
[tt]
CDate(Right(Replace([YourDateString],"'",""),Len(Replace([YourDateString],"'",""))-InStr(Replace([YourDateString],"'","")," ")))
[/tt]

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back