Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date code adds a day but why??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhuffst

Programmer
Jun 23, 2003
US
Hi I'm using the following code as a filter for a report.
Code:
'default dates - find out what is common
    dteStart = Format("1/1/" & DatePart("yyyy", Date), "mm/dd/yyyy")
    dteEnd = Format("12/31/" & DatePart("yyyy", Date), "mm/dd/yyyy")

' get the date range they want to use
    strStart = InputBox("Enter Start Date Range:", "Start Date", dteStart)
    If IsDate(strStart) Then dteStart = strStart

strEnd = InputBox("Enter End Date Range:", "End Date", Format(dteEnd, "mm/dd/yyyy"))
    [COLOR=#CC0000][b]If IsDate(strEnd) Then dteEnd = strEnd[/b] line that translates wrong[/color]     

strStart = DateAdd("d", -1, dteStart)
    strEnd = DateAdd("d", 1, dteEnd)
 ' Me.Filter = [EffectiveDate] or [RetireDate] in
 '  Me.Filter = "((EffectiveDate BETWEEN #" & strStart & "# And #" & strEnd & "#)) AND IsNull(retireDate) " _
'& " Or (retireDate BETWEEN #" & strStart & "# And #" & strEnd & "#)"      [COLOR=#A40000]original filter [/color]  

Me.Filter = "((EffectiveDate  Or RetireDate BETWEEN #" & strStart & "# And #" & strEnd & "#))  "  [COLOR=#729FCF]Filter I just tried[/color]

I'm running the report from 4/1/15 to 6/30/15
The problem I"m having is the effective date column is showing 7/1/15 (based on the date passed)
when I step through the code, the strEnd prompt has the correct date (6/30/15) but the very next line shows 7/1/15

I'm not sure why it's doing that. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
lhuffst

Maybe I do not understand. But if you pass in 4/1/2015 and subtract a day you get 3/31/2015. if you pass in 6/30/2015 and add a day you get 7/1/2015. What is not working? I modified it a little
Code:
Public Sub TestDates()
    '4/1/15 to 6/30/15
    Dim dteStart As Date
    Dim dteEnd As Date
    Dim strStart As String
    Dim strEnd As String
    dteStart = DateSerial(Year(Date), 1, 1)
    dteEnd = DateSerial(Year(Date), 12, 31)

strStart = InputBox("Enter Start Date Range:", "Start Date", dteStart)
    If IsDate(strStart) Then dteStart = strStart
    strEnd = InputBox("Enter End Date Range:", "End Date", Format(dteEnd, "mm/dd/yyyy"))
    If IsDate(strEnd) Then dteEnd = strEnd

strStart = DateAdd("d", -1, dteStart)
    strEnd = DateAdd("d", 1, dteEnd)
    Debug.Print strStart & " to " & strEnd
End Sub
prints out 3/31/2015 to 7/1/2015 as expected.

I was expecting to get 4/1/15 to 6/30/15. I can see why it comes up 3/31/15 but why does the end date come up 7/1/15 instead of 6/30/15? That's the part I don't understand

From your code:

[tt]strEnd = DateAdd("d", 1, dteEnd)[/tt]

Don't you say here: Add one day to my dteEnd and display the result in strEnd?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Yes I finally figured that out. Not sure if I should use something else instead but for today, I changed the 1 to 0 and it works like a champ. Thanks

Code:
I was expecting to get 4/1/15 to 6/30/15. I can see why it comes up 3/31/15 but why does the end date come up 7/1/15 instead of 6/30/15
I am so confused. You expected that if you add 1 day to 6/30/2015 you would get 6/30/2015. What kind of math is that?

That’s why I never do any juggling of the data between different data types

Your code would look something like that in my app:

Code:
Public Sub TestDates()[green]
    '4/1/15 to 6/30/15[/green]
    Dim dteStart As Date
    Dim dteEnd As Date
    Dim [blue]strTemp[/blue] As String
[green]
    ' get the date range they want to use[/green]
    [blue]strTemp[/blue] = InputBox("Enter Start Date Range:", "Start Date", dteStart)
    If IsDate([blue]strTemp[/blue]) Then dteStart = CDate([blue]strTemp[/blue])
    [blue]strTemp[/blue] = InputBox("Enter End Date Range:", "End Date", Format(dteEnd, "mm/dd/yyyy"))
    If IsDate(strEnd) Then dteEnd = CDate([blue]strTemp[/blue])
    [green]
    'strStart = DateAdd("d", -1, dteStart)
    'strEnd = DateAdd("d", 1, dteEnd)
    'Debug.Print strStart & " to " & strEnd[/green]
End Sub

I can accept the data from the Users into a string, but then I convert it into a Date. And I am done with that String. I can re-use it again, but never 'use it' to do anything else.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I changed the 1 to 0 and it works like a champ
huh? why would you do that?

You wouldn't write in code
Code:
 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0
So why are you performing a DateAdd and telling it to not add anything?

Take this date; add zero days to it and give me it back?

I am so confused.
Me too MajP!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Thanks everyone. I am going to switch the code but I had to get the report out right then. Since it was subtracting and adding a day, I swapped the 1 and -1 with 0 so it wouldn't really do anything but just for that day). Now that I'm back on site, I'm going to replace it with the better code above.
thanks again

One last thing. I changed the code to what Andrzejek suggested but my filter isn't filtering out the records.
Syntax wise this is correct and the values for dteStart and dteEnd are correct; 4/1/15 and 6/29/15 (respectively).
Why wouldn't the filter work? I'm getting all the records back (56 pages worth) instead of the 20ish I expected.

Me.Filter = "[EffectiveDate] or [RetireDate] BETWEEN #" & dteStart & "# AND #" & dteEnd & "#"
this is my code now
Code:
Dim dteStart As Date
Dim dteEnd As Date
Dim strStart As String
Dim strEnd As String
'Dim dteStart As Date
'Dim dteEnd As Date
Dim strTemp As String

strTemp = InputBox("Enter Start Date Range:", "Start Date", dteStart)
    If IsDate(strTemp) Then dteStart = CDate(strTemp)
    strTemp = InputBox("Enter End Date Range:", "End Date", Format(dteEnd, "mm/dd/yyyy"))
    If IsDate(strTemp) Then dteEnd = CDate(strTemp)

lblreportdates.Caption = Format(dteStart, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " - " & Format(dteEnd, "mm/dd/yyyy")

Me.Filter = "[EffectiveDate] or [RetireDate] BETWEEN #" & dteStart & "# AND #" & dteEnd & "#"
      Me.FilterOn = True
Thanks again
lhuffst

:) You are going to be mad at yourself...
[tt]
strFilter = "EffectiveDate BETWEEN #" & dteStart & "# AND #" & dteEnd & "#"
strFilter = strFilter & " OR "
strFilter = strFilter & " RetireDate BETWEEN #" & dteStart & "# AND #" & dteEnd & "#"

Me.Filter = strFilter[/tt]

Have fun.

---- Andy

I ended up having to change my filter to
strFilter = "[effectiveDate] <= #" & dteEnd & "# and nz(retiredate,#12/31/2050#)) >= #" & dteStart & "# "
strFilter = strFilter & " OR"
strFilter = "nz(retiredate,#12/31/2050#) >= #" & dteStart & "# and [effectiveDate] <= #" & dteEnd & "#"

Thank you for all the help

So you ended up with your filter something like:

Condition AND Condition OR Condition AND Condition

To be on the safe side, I would add some ( ):

(Condition AND Condition) OR (Condition AND Condition)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back