Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date changing in letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

conveyancing

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2003
GB
I have two users, one using Windows 95 the other XP. When user w95 opens a letter in XP area the date changes to the current date. How can I stop this from happening?

which date? opening with which app? (if its word - is the date just a variable accessing 'today'?)

Application is wordperfect. The date I refer to is in a letter template. Should I just remove the date from the original template and the user can then just merely type it in each time. Will it then stay with the date when she originally typed it when reopening?

Haven't used word perfect in anger since dos version 5.1! But I suspect my comment applies (ie, variable picking up today's date) - so if you removed it, I'd suspect it will be ok (but all guesswork, due to lack of recent WP).

Kinda confused by your question here , but what you are asking is:
when you open up a word document and type in the start of todays date it just pops in, and you want to change that or delete this? I believe being word perfect is keeping you steps shorter. If you don't like todays date then manually change it by typing on top of this. (edit the date) and then save document for next time it opens it should remain the old date. But when you save it, it will be todays date in the properties value.

TTodd:
It is a standard wordperfect letter template with the date stored into the template, therefore when it is open as a new letter the current date is always inserted.When another user goes into that particular saved letter the date changes to the current date rather than the date it was typed on. I need to be able to keep the original date
in the letter when it is opened up.

Then the date needs to be typed in rather than using the one pulled by the template. The idea of that (and the other templates using the date) are that you type in your stuff, do your mail merge, and print right away. Then the template is ready for next use where it will have that day's date as well.

Cheers,

Realm174

Check the Regional Settings (or Regional Options) in the Control Panel of XP and then go into the DATE tab. Adjust the DATE format to ressemble the one in WIN95.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Wait a second fellas. When the user "saves" the file are they saving it as a template or a regular document? If you do "save as" to a document not a template the date insertion should stop.
I'll bet they are overwriting the template every time. That is not what templates are for. You notice in Word when you use one of the default templates it always asks for a new name.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

(if it acts like M$Word) The document has a form field that has a formula that looks like =Now()

The best way around that would be to change the template so that instead of a field, it just has plain text, something like {Enter Date Here}

Well thanks fellas. Jontmke, we seem to be on he same wavelength. We are connected to a network all using the same template. When the letter is typed, it is "saved as" obviously something else so the original template is never changed. Its only when the letter is re-opened by another user at a later date that the actual date of when it is opened appears in the letter rather than when it was originally typed. I suspect that I need to change the way the date is inserted into the original template, which I think I know the answer to be not ticking the box that says "keep this date current" will try and let you know.

Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back