Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datatype problems when Excel is one of the datasources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbe

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
HI all:
I have a report that uses an Excel Spreadsheet for the list of id numbers to look up. I link it (Excel DSN) to an Oracle table (DSN) in our warehouse, and it all works pretty well.

Here's the problem: some of the datatypes being returned from Oracle are screwey. I convert some of the Excel fields to text, and use them to lookup a text field in Oracle. In addition to the matched filed, I retrieve some other fields. The returned numbers from other fields in Oracle are being translated, for example, what is usually a "0" or a "1" is now a "49" or a "50".

Anyone got any theories? (I'm in Crystal Developer 8.5), we use Enterprise Professional too. Oracle is v9.

--Timbe

I'd guess that the problem is with Excel, not Oracle.

How do you *convert* and link the Excel values to Oracle? This is suspect...

Anyway, Excel assumes datatypes based on the first row of the spreadsheet, so a standard cheat is to place a dummy row which qualifies the data. A presumed "1" in column A may result in a data type of number, etc., causing problems.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

SV is right on here. Ihave experienced this many times and have used the same solution of a dummy row that indicates the datatype.

I do not understand how a "1" and a "0" get converted to 49 and 50 however. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back