Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

datatype conversion in postgresql 7.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersucker

Programmer
May 22, 2005
DE
hi everybody,

i got the following problem:

i have a database running on a postgresqlserver version 7.4.1, in the database is a table with 4 columns containing
float-numbers. what i want to do now is, to convert the type of those columns from float to numeric, because
i want to limit the positions after the decimal point to 2.

what works fine in v. 8:

either

alter table fragment alter column x type numeric(15,2)

or

update fragment set x = round(x,2)

but both wont work with version 7.4.1!

when i look into the documentation it seems to say that in 7.4.1 round() can only round to a given number of positions after the decimal point when used with a numeric type, but not with floats!

and if i try something like:

alter table fragment alter column x type numeric(15,2)

i get an syntax error, so this seems to be no feature in 7.4.1 (didnt find anything like that in the docs too....)

what can i do to solve this? there must be some way in postgresql 7.4.1, if there is no way to do that, i have to
build up the whole database from scratch........there must be a way to convert float to numeric values in 7.4.1 ,
but i dont have a single clue...

thx for any help in advance

Yes, 8.0 has greatly expanded your options for ALTER TABLE, which are not available for 7.4.

But, Postgresql has a very complete set of functions to format data of any type:
Also, PostgreSQL has a very convenient postfix notation for casting, using the '::' operator:

Code:
SELECT 12.100023::numeric(4,2);

produces output of 12.10.

Using this, you can use SELECT INTO to create a temporary table which duplicates your original table but casts that column as numeric. Then, inside a transaction, drop the original table and use simple SELECT INTO to recreate the original table with the new column definition. (Then, of course, you will need to recreate any constraints)

-------------------------------------------

My PostgreSQL FAQ --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back