Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datastore filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sktechnical

Programmer
Jul 28, 2006
US
Hello Gurus,

We have performance issues on one of the application we have (kind of old and whole process is done on the client, we can't move the process to DB at this point) and to improve the performance of this application we are having a second look on the code. We found that there are so many datastores are used and we found filters on these datastores. Does anyone know that the filters on these datastores would cause any performance issues. The datstore which may applied filters can contain around 10000 to 20000 records.

Your comments on this greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I wouldn't have thought that filters would be a problem as all the data is loaded into memory.
It would more likely be the fact that you are loading so much data into the memory of the client. Best thing to do is collect timing information on the retrieve. Isolate which retreives are causing you the problem. Remove the one of the filters and see if this makes a difference.

I'm not sure this is much halp but that is where I would start.

MJ

Run a trace on the DB while you use the application. This will tell you quite a lot about what processes are taking a long time. Often an index on a file can be the answer.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back