Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datasources, how to define a global DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
I'm not sure if what I want to do is possible, but here is my scenario.

We have a SQL DB which I front end with MS Access & VBA.

when I release changes, or switch to the test DB , I simple got to the linked table manager, ask for it to prompt for new location on all the tables, under the file DSN tab select my datasource.

When I distribute this to all the employees inside our LAN everthing works fine, even though their own machine doesn't have any ODBC datasources defined locally.

HOWEVER, any mobile user who connect via our VPN cannot run a copy of the DB locally because it pops up unable to find the data source.

i assume this is because the DSN I use, I created on my machine, selecting the SQL server name as the source from within our company LAN.

so what I want to be able to do is create a DSN which I use that it doesn't matter where the DB is run from if they are connected to the the VPN it sees the SQL server.

If I go through the procedure if at home of defining a datasource and using windows authentication, issuing the username and password, it works fine and the VPN connection can facilitate the client seing the SQL server.

But I do not want to try to talk our mobile users through how to change the datasource for our DB, many are not I.T. literate enough and this is just an ugly way to do it anyhow.

how do I create a DSN on my PC locally that I link to the Access DB that any one any where connected to the network be it via the LAN or VPN that will work for everone.

hope that makes sense.

Regards,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Unfortunately I'm still looking also, not been able to find out how to do this as yet.

Really would be handy if it can be done.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Have you considered just exporting that key out of your registry and saving it to a reg file that the users can execute. It would add the DSN to their machine and voila. We do that through our web-site - we have a reg file that sets up all of the DSNs for one app that has tendrils to almost all of our databases.

No I hadn't concidered that, where would this reg-key be on my machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back