Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataSource password storage options

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfrear

Programmer
Jul 11, 2007
GB
I am currently working on an enterprise app which need's to store a database password. This data will be stored in a configuration file of sorts.

The obvious problem is that I cannot store the password as a plain string. I have been through several types of encryption and keep coming up with the same problem - I would need to store a key in order to encrypt the data, and where would I store the key?

If the key is in the source code it's reasonably easy to reverse engineer the code and find the key. If its in a config file it defeats the object.

Now this must be a very common problem and im sure there's something extremely simple I'm just missing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

I would go with encrypting the connection string node in the web/app config file. This feature was added to 2.0 for this exact purpose.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back